BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Results from Questionnaire

Hello!
So I reached my target of having thirty people take part within my questionnaire, ranging from a variety of ages. Althought I did plan of having the ages equal, I realised that this would be difficult to pursue due to certain circumstances. I used appropriate information from the survey to come to a conclusion about what I should put within my horror trailer. The writing highlighted in red are the most popular answers from the questionnaire. Here are the results:

1.       How old are you?














The results from this show that mostly 15-25 year olds took part within my survey. This is a great amount of because I am thinking about aiming my horror trailer to this particular age group so to have that amount of people take part is fascinating. Although I still will appreciate information from other age-groups as the information that they provided is still valid to what I need to put into my horror trailer in order to make it successful.

2.       How many horror films have you watched within the past three months?

















To be honest I didn't expect a great amount of people to watch horror films within the three months as there haven't been many to watch within the cinemas. However it was suprising to find that some people have watched 7-9 horror films in which these answers were mainly from the 15-25 year olds. This would give me hope for my horror trailer if I was aiming my horror trailer towards that age group because it is good to know that they watch a great amount of horror films. It was intriguing to find out that 55+ and the 46-54 year olds did not watch horror films within the past three months due to the fact that they do not really like modern horror.
3.       What should a horror film include?
v  Shocking or Jumpy moments
v  Scary  music
v  Scary horror or blood scenes
v  Special effects
v  Scary Plotline
v  Death   
v  Suspense
v  Blood

I believe shocking or jumpy moments was the most favoured because everyone likes to be scared one way or another so I wasn't surprised that this answer as most popular. Additionally, the other answers I expected too as a teenager myself, I would expect to see these convetions within horror films otherwise I believe it would be hard to define the film as a horror.

4.       What scares you the most in horror films?
v  When someone comes out of the blue
v  The unknown
v  Zombies
v  The suspense and anticipation
v  Music
v  The Supernatural; The Devil
Again the element of surprise was the most favoured and I believe that it was the most favoured because when you do not expect something it creates more tension and therefore it makes the audience more scared of what will happen next. When a scene is predictable then it's scale of 'scare' goes down as the audiece knows what will happen next. There was other interesting answers too such as the unknown which I believe this answer will definitely influence me in what I will put in my horror trailer. In the end the audience want to be scared so I want to combine scary elements such as when someone comes out of the blue and the unknown to the extent where the audience are ultimately scared.
5.       What is your favourite horror film and why?
v  The Exorcist – It’s religious and it has scary scenes; looked real
v  1408 – good plotline
v  Drag me to hell – really scary but I love it!
v  Saw – his face mask is bloody creepy
v  Interview with the vampire – good narrative
v  Nightmare on Elm Street – first ever horror film and it scared me
I was surprised about how many people loved the exorcist as personally it scares me too much but maybe that's why people like it, to be scared. Additionally, The Exorcist has religious connotations so maybe this is a good idea to bring into my own horror trailer. The other answers I was surprised as too, some I have not even heard before such as 1408 but quite a few people wrote this answer down. I will be doing further research on these two films to find out what audiences like within the film and why they like the film in general.
6.       What is the most dated horror film you have seen?
v  Nosferatu
v  Paranormal activity
v  The Birds
v  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
v  The Poltergeist
v  Halloween
v  Saw

I was extremely surprised by the answer, especially the fact 16-25 year olds knew some history about the film and watched it. This answer was mainly provided by 56+ and 46-54 year olds in which was fascinating because they even stated that they really like the film and even now they are still slightly scared by it. The other answers that were submitted are just as valid such as The Poltergeist; this film was cleverly carried out and was able to reach a mass audience due to it's funding and how interesting the narrative was.

7.       What is the newest horror film you have seen?
v  Paranormal Activity 3
v  Piranha 3D
v  Paranormal Activity 2
v  Scream 5
v  Cloverfield
v  Insidious


This answer was mainly submitted by 26-35 year olds and I was slightly stunned by this as I would have thought that 16-25 year olds would have mentioned this answer however I was mistaken. The older age groups mainly submitted Cloverfield in which this film is not that old but then again it was made a couple of years ago so I was suprised that they didn't submit something newer.

8.       Do you prefer monsters or human killers as antagonists?



















I'm not surprised by the answer and if I was a part of the questionnaire then I would have submitted human killers. This is because human killers are more real than humans and therefore the chances of the event happening within the films (with human killers) have a higher percentage of coming true than monsters as monsters do not exist.

What have I learnt?
I have learnt what my audience would want to see within horror films and what the find most frightening. I need to do further research about some films that had been submitted within the survey to find out more abou the conventions within them and why they are so successful. I know that within my horror trailer, I would need to include jumpy moments and scary music, the fear of the unknown, moments where people or things come of of the blue, conventions from favoured movies and possibly a human killer.

0 comments: